1. Remove all unnecessary Plugins
Akismet is the only plugin I recommend keeping for your site. I’ll go further into why in another lesson.
2. Change the structure of your Permalinks
When you first install WordPress your permalink structure will be using your post and page ID’s and will look a lot like this:
Using this structure in no way helps you out, simply because SEO works by using keywords. So by changing the permalinks, to post a name it will appear in the URL so that these words can be seen and used for SEO. Which gives you a better search ranking with Google.
3. Updating General Settings
- Update your site tagline to something unique!
- Update your email address. This is important if you were to ever lose your password!
- Update your Date and Time format.
- Update your Time Zone to where you actually live. This is super important for when you are scheduling your blog posts!